Peanut Butter Jelly Time
PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME
Peanut Butter Jelly Time Story
Peanut Butter Jelly Time is a Flash animation that first emerged at the early early part of this century and quickly became an Internet phenomenon. The animation is based on a song of the same name recorded by DJ Chipman of the Buckwheat Boyz. The best known version of the animation which can be seen above shows a highly pixelated Dancing Banana moving back and forth to the song’s chorus.
The Dancing Banana (also known as Peanut Butter Jelly, or Humba the Banana) is a popular emoticon . In 2001 the Dancing Banana was used on several forums as a standard emoticon. Most forums would replace the text :banana: with the gif animation. More emoticon examples can be found by following the links below. Peanut Butter Jelly Time Emoticons
Peanut Butter Jelly Time in Pop Culture
- In the Family Guy episode The Courtship of Stewie’s Father, Brian attempts to cheer Peter up by performing Peanut Butter Jelly Time dressed as the Dancing Banana. This scene partially brought back the popularity of the dancing banana. Brian also wears the banana suit in the Family Guy video game in one section of the story mode.
- A video on youtube shows Charles Manson dancing to the tune of Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- The University of Georgia Diamond Dawgs use the Family Guy clip of Peanut Butter Jelly Time during late-game pitching changes.
- In the Ed episode The Wedding, Jennifer Bradley shows Ed the Peanut Butter Jelly Time animation to try to cheer him up.
- TNA professional wrestler Alex Shelley is occasionally represented by crowd chants or crowd signs that read Peanut Butter Shelley Time as a play on both his name and the meme.
- In one episode of The Proud Family, Penny babysits Dijonay’s brothers and sisters. The kids put in a CD and start dancing to Peanut Butter Jelly Time.
- Hot Topic sells shirts of the banana with the phrase It’s Peanut Butter Jelly Time.
- In The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy video game, an unlockable costume for Irwin is a banana suit. Whenever Irwin does his Mojo Meltdown in the banana suit, he assumes a pose mimicking the Dancing Banana’s dance.
- On the January 31, 2007 episode of American Idol, contestant Sophat Peou sang the song while wearing a banana suit and doing the dance. He was disqualified less than 10 seconds later.
- On Nickelodeon, Peanut Butter Jelly Time was used as a short piece of their commercial to encourage children to eat breakfast.
- The Tampa Bay Rays of Major League Baseball feature the theme song and a dancing banana
- The Banana and phrase It’s Peanut Butter Jelly Time appears in Weezer’s music video Pork and Beans.
- The song is a running gag on TNT’s Inside The NBA, with video of Charles Barkley’s head superimposed over a shirtless overweight man dancing.
- During WWE’s Cyber Sunday pay per view event, WWE Diva Victoria dressed up as the character. She also dressed as a banana on the Halloween Special of Smackdown.
- The Dancing Banana now has an iPhone/iPod Touch program located in Apple Inc.’s App Store. It is a free app named PBJTime.
- The dance motion of the Dancing Banana is used in the popular PC game World of Warcraft as one of the few dancing moves a male tauren can do.
- The dance motion is also included in Online Fighting game Rumble Fighter and is activated by typing /pbj.
- Randy Moller, radio play-by-play commentator for the NHL’s Florida Panthers, frequently uses the phrase Peanut Butter Jelly Time to celebrate a Panthers’ goal.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time Videos
PBJT Military Style
Heavy but Happy PBJT